This course focuses on concepts of due care and client confidentiality as the CPA carries out his/her responsibility to the public. We discuss the CPAâ€™s duty to â€œblow the whistleâ€ in situations where the professional becomes aware of financial fraud or subversion of the tax rules. As part of this course, we walk through real-world examples of individuals and companies faced with these dilemmas. This event may be a rebroadcast of a live event and the instructor will be available to answer your questions during the event.
After attending the presentation you will be able to...
- Be able to define a CPA's responsibility to the public and apply related concepts such as due care and client confidentiality in practice.
- Be able to discuss a CPAs potential duty to blow the whistle in certain circumstances even though it may result in a negative consequence to the whistleblower.
The major topics covered in this class include:
- AICPA Code of Conduct:Â Responsibility to the Public and Due Care
- Case study:Â Health South
- Returning client records
- Confidential information
- Whistleblowing provisions