Discuss the conduct expected of CPAs by the Code of Professional Conduct and what it means to serve in the public interest. Explore the frequent pressures encountered by CPAs and consider the examples of those who lost their livelihoods and licenses, went to jail, or had their personal lives exposed in the media. This event may be a rebroadcast of a live event and the instructor will be available to answer your questions during the event.
After attending this presentation you will be able to:
- Identify situations that create pressure to violate professional standards, the Code of Professional Conduct and/or the law, through case studies and evaluations.
- Identify and construct safeguards against these pressures.
The major topics that will be covered in this class include:
- Explore the cases of those who succumbed to pressure and lost their livelihoods, from those who helped clients avoid restating earnings to those backdating changes to audit workpapers.
- Discuss the pressures that cause CPAs to cross the line and how to make sure you do not succumb to the pressure.
- Reinforce the ethical principles that CPAs are required to follow.
- Consider cases of CPAs who became fraudsters. Who is responsible for fraud prevention? How can you keep your clients safe?