This program addresses the most recent developments impacting taxpayers incurring research and experimentation costs. Emphasis will be placed on compliance with the 2022 change in Section 174 Amortization of research and experimental expenditures. This event may be a rebroadcast of a live event and the instructor will be available to answer your questions during the event.
After attending this presentation you will be able to identify recent changes affecting the deduction of research and experimental expenditures.
The major topics that will be covered in this class include:
- Discussion of the impact of the Section 174 law change requiring capitalization of research and experimental costs.
- Comparison of the Section 41 R&E credit to the Section 174 R&E deduction.
- Financial accounting for R&E costs.
- Required change of accounting method and Form 3115.
- Revised treatment of software development costs.
- Comprehensive case problems explaining implementation of the law changes.