Payroll is among the most common tasks an employer undertakes in the course of running their business. At its most basic level, payroll consists of an agreement between an employer and employee related to compensation for services. Once you look under the hood, there is so much more to payroll, including various kinds of compensation, payroll taxes and required reporting on government forms. This course will provide a general introduction to the workings of the payroll returns an employer is required to file. We will cover the various types of federal and state payroll taxes, what various payroll returns an employer may need to file, how to complete the most common types of payroll returns accurately, and real-life illustrations for reconciling at year end and ensuring your payroll returns are correct. This event may be a rebroadcast of a live event and the instructor will be available to answer your questions during the event.
After attending this presentation you will be able to...
- Recognize common payroll tax forms used by employers
- Recall due dates for common payroll returns
- Distinguish which federal and state payroll returns an employer is required to file
- Indicate the filing requirements for common payroll returns
- Recognize common errors on payroll returns
- Identify IRS publications that are useful resources on payroll topics for employers
The major topics covered in this class include:
- Introduction to common payroll taxes and related payroll forms
- Filing out, reconciling, and filing payroll returns
- Due dates and filing requirements