Ethics is simple: Do no harm, just tell the truth, keep your word, and when in Rome do as the Romans do. For most people in most circumstances, these "bumper sticker" sayings provide helpful ethical guidelines. For accountants, however, ethics -- and especially, professional ethics -- can quickly turn into a tangle of ethical conflicts and competing rules. This workshop untangles some of these situations by working from ethical theory and practice. This event may be a rebroadcast of a live event and the instructor will be available to answer your questions during the event.
- Consider the underlying moral philosophies that inform typical ethics statements such as "Do the right thing."
- Look behind the principles of the AICPA Code of Professional Conduct to discover its philosophical underpinnings.
- Examine a real world case in light of purposes and requirements of AICPA Code.
- Evaluate the contribution of the Conceptual Framework to accountants ethical framework in real life situations.
- Introduction: "Bumper Sticker Ethics"
- Thinking About Ethics: Digging a Little Deeper
- Compare: Principles of Professional Ethics in Accounting
- Case Study: Frank v. Dana Corp.
- Conclusion: The Conceptual Framework as an Ethics Resource